Reporting to the Sr. Director of Construction and Engineering, the Sr. Meteorologist will be responsible to manage the resource assessments and layouts of new build utility-scale renewable energy power generation plants. This includes the resource assessment of from origination through construction financial close to construction and operational wind forecasting while providing wind and solar resource expertise within Cordelio Power (development, construction, and operations).
Cordelio manages a 1,200+ MW renewable power generation portfolio that includes (i) a 396 MW portfolio of wind and solar projects in Ontario, and (ii) a 656 MW (net) wind and solar portfolio owned by Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPP Investments”) through a joint venture with a strategic partner. Cordelio is also actively building a wind, solar, and storage development pipeline with a projected nameplate capacity of greater than 11,000 MW. Cordelio carries out its operations and growth activities by working with all stakeholders in an efficient, safe and environmentally responsible manner. Cordelio is based in Toronto, Ontario, with offices in Vancouver, BC and New York, NY and is wholly owned by CPP Investments, which has ~C$550B in net assets.
· Develop, either directly and/or with third parties, optimized wind or solar project layouts for various turbine or solar module technologies and site capacities in order to maximize project value
· Develop site measurement plans including met mast siting and configurations, and conduct meteorological assessments of greenfield and M&A projects
· Either directly or working with third parties, create internal wind or solar resource and energy assessment reports and conduct due diligence on third party reports for development and financial evaluation
· Support turbine suitability analysis for potential wind farm projects
· Conduct or manage on-site wind site analyses of greenfield or M&A projects and support turbine micro-siting
· Conduct or manage on-site solar analyses of greenfield or M&A projects and support module array final siting
· Stay apprised of current and emerging research and trends in the field of wind and solar resource assessments and operational performance analytics
· Manage power performance testing of wind turbines
· Manage or perform performance ratio testing for solar projects
· Design wind and solar measurement campaigns for successful wind resource analyses. Coordinate with met mast contractors, and internal business development, environmental engineering, GIS, and procurement departments
· Five years experience in resource assessment in renewables, with experience in both wind and solar preferred
· Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in atmospheric sciences, meteorology, engineering, or physics is required
· Equivalent experience may be considered
· Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills
· Excellent resource, planning, and time management skills
· Ability to hike in rugged terrain in various weather conditions to early development project sites in remote areas
· Familiarity with typical computer software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint)
· Familiarity with IEC 61400-12-1 is necessary
· Proficient in resource assessment software such as WindFarmer, OpenWind, and other CFD models
· Experience in analytical software and coding a plus
· Experience with meteorological measurement stations for both wind and solar a plus
· Experience in wind turbine power curve tests and reports a plus
· Ability to work within a team and associated people skills
· Presentation skills and ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical persons in lay-person language and concepts
· Up to 15% primarily domestically (U.S. and Canada). Includes travel primarily to remote project locations as well as occasionally to company facilities and technical conferences.
· Cordelio has offices in Toronto, Vancouver, and New York and may eventually set up an office in the Western U.S. This role is expected to be remotely located or may have to option to relocate to a future U.S. office.
Cordelio is focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experience, perspectives and talent. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and Company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all employees and expect each to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition team.
Learn more about Cordelio at www.cordeliopower.com OR follow us on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/cordelio-power-inc/.