Reporting to the Sr. Director of Construction and Engineering, the Sr. Project Engineer, Electrical will be responsible to manage and support the technical efforts associated with design and implementation of the infrastructure and integration of new build utility-scale renewable energy power generation plants. Through 2025 at least, this will focus on a portfolio of solar projects in the state of New York, with subsequent projects as per the company focus. This includes all electrical, protection, control, communications, and structural infrastructure, either via internal or external resources, while providing electrical engineering expertise within Cordelio Power (development, construction, and operations).
Cordelio manages a 1,200+ MW renewable power generation portfolio that includes (i) a 396 MW portfolio of wind and solar projects in Ontario, and (ii) a 656 MW (net) wind and solar portfolio owned by Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPP Investments”) through a joint venture with a strategic partner. Cordelio is also actively building a wind, solar, and storage development pipeline with a projected nameplate capacity of greater than 11,000 MW. Cordelio carries out its operations and growth activities by working with all stakeholders in an efficient, safe and environmentally responsible manner. Cordelio is based in Toronto, Ontario, with offices in Vancouver, BC and New York, NY and is wholly owned by CPP Investments, which has ~C$550B in net assets.
· Manage the design and engineering of Cordelio’s NY state solar portfolio projects in parallel with the pre-construction and execution efforts of others. This includes early-stage development, RFPs for construction contracts, construction support and leading interface with construction design firms, and occasional operational support.
· Provide technical input and specifications to renewable power plant electrical system design and procurement processes, at subject matter expertise (SME) level.
· Provide and manage technical evaluation, analyses, and due diligence of renewable power plant substation control and protection systems.
· Provide and manage SME level technical information and resolution of technical issues arising during development, pre-construction, construction, and operational phases of a project for all aspects related to electrical generation, delivery, and control and protection matters.
· Provide and manage technical calculations and analyses of renewable power plant substation control, protection, and safety system studies (e.g., short circuit, arc flash, relay settings, etc.).
· Ensure, manage, and lead adequate and appropriate level of review of the design documents and the technical calculations and analyses for solar plant structural, electrical, control, and protection systems.
· Participate in and lead internal technical standards related to the design and specification of electrical, control, and protection systems.
· Lead the management of electrical design engineering firms and/or EPC contractors, as the case may be, in getting electrical, control, and protection designs to IFC, including with relevant 3rd party/IE review to ensure suitable designs in interests of company.
· Visit company renewable energy projects in development and construction across North America as necessary to provide technical support of electrical, control, and protection construction and commissioning issues.
· Prioritization of the work to be coordinated with development, pre-construction, construction, and operations stakeholders.
· Four to ten years progressive responsible experience in the renewable energy industry with electrical, protection, and/or controls design and engineering. Project engineering experience is preferred.
· Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering is required. Equivalent experience may be considered.
· Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills.
· Ability to prioritize and resolve multiple project overall and electrical design issues across multiple projects under demanding schedule constraints.
· Ability to analyze/evaluate power system performance within design boundaries.
· Ability to evaluate and apply electrical, protection, control specifications, requirements, and/or implementation.
· Familiarity with NYSERDA and NY State regulations and permits a plus.
· Familiarity with IEEE electrical standards and NESC. Knowledge of NFPA 70 as applicable to power system design, especially with solar and storage facilities.
· Familiarity with typical computer software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint).
· Ability to work within a team and associated people skills.
· Presentation skills and ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical persons in lay-person language and concepts.
· Familiarity with electrical design processes and related computer software: ETAP or similar at a minimum; familiarity with use of PSSE/PSLF a bonus.
· Initially, up to 35% primarily to projects across the state of New York. Long term beyond initial portfolio in NY, up to 30% domestically (U.S. and Canada). Includes travel primarily to remote project locations as well as occasionally to company, vendor, and supplier facilities.
· Cordelio has offices in Toronto, Vancouver, and New York and may eventually set up an office in the Western U.S. This role is meant to be remotely located so as to provide regular and frequent visits to projects in development through construction across the New York state area. Long term, the position may remain remote to support ongoing projects in the eastern U.S., or as directed by Cordelio.
Cordelio is focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experience, perspectives and talent. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and Company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all employees and expect each to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition team.
Learn more about Cordelio at www.cordeliopower.com OR follow us on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/cordelio-power-inc/.